Power cuts is not a recent phenomenon but something that we have been seeing for many years in our country. There are many places in the country that receive electricity only for a few hours in a day, and then there are some that do not get electricity at all. In many parts of the country, kerosene is still used as fuel to generate light during emergency. Burning of kerosene not only causes air pollution but also has potential to cause a lot of disastrous health effects. In recent years many innovators have come out with solar powered-LED based emergency lighting solutions that provide a great alternative to the old form of emergency lighting.
Features and Benefits of Solar-LED emergency lantern options available in the market
- For most people the biggest challenge in using Solar power at home is to have space to install the solar panels. Especially people living in apartment complexes find it hard to get space for it. The best thing about solar-LED emergency lights is the small size of solar panels. In fact some of the lights have in-built solar panels for charging the batteries.
- Most Solar-LED emergency light options available in the market are portable and lightweight. The heaviest one available weights about 1.2 Kgs.
- With 8 to 12 hours of charging these lights run for 4-100 hours depending on the brightness it is kept at. Hours of operation are low for high brightness and high for low brightness.
- The maximum amount of light or brightness produced is equivalent to a 5 Watt CFL that is sufficient to create visibility in a regular room (about 100-150 sq ft).
- Can even be used for precision work during power cuts. Just that one has to sit closer to the light.
- Available at much affordable prices: ranging from Rs 400 to Rs 1500.
- Models available that are wall mountable making it easy to light a room during power outages.
- The solar panels and LEDs last for long (about 50,000 hrs of usage). The only regular change needed is for the batteries.
- Some of these lanterns also come along with mobile charging units and can thus help in charging mobile phones during power cuts.
- Most of them are also available with AC power charging and thus can be charged with regular power connection as well.
- Most of them do not need any installation and thus no professional help is required for them. They can be used straight out of the box.
- Always check for weather resistant and rain resistant options while buying, as these features are useful in regular use.
Although at first impression something like a solar lantern seems to be a good buy for someone living in rural areas, but if you live in urban area and suffer with regular power cuts, this appliance can be of great use to you. This extremely portable and easy solar device can be of great value during the dark periods of the day.
About the Author:
Abhishek Jain is an Alumnus of IIT Bombay with almost 10 years of experience in corporate before starting Bijli Bachao in 2012. His passion for solving problems moved him towards Energy Sector and he is keen to learn about customer behavior towards Energy and find ways to influence the same towards Sustainability. More from this author.