The article provides a detail of the best dishwashers available in India, discussing important features such as size, brands, settings, features, plate stacking, energy efficiency and also prices.
With the prevalent culture of ‘nuclear families’, the time has probably come when the dishwashing will be considered as a prime necessity rather than just a luxury item. In the Indian context, dishwashing is traditionally and still conducted primarily by the housemaids, but problems such as the hassle of finding suitable maids which are accommodating to the timings requirement, safe and reliable, as both adult members are working outside, higher travel time and multiple other factors involved are contributing to the phenomenon of more acceptability to dishwashers.
The modern day’s nuclear families have its own set of problems and bottlenecks, which perhaps the generation prior perhaps never faced, therefore as time goes by dishwasher can become a contemporary necessity, at least for modern urban India. With Covid 19, avoiding engaging housemaid, the dishwasher along with washing machine has become a necessity for any lower-middle-income family.
In this post, we will try to provide you with some tips to buy a new Dishwasher. But before that, we will provide you with the information that you came here to look for: The Top Brands and Top Models in Dishwasher. For the Buying Guide, click: here.
Best Dishwasher Brands in India
These are the most popular dishwasher brands in India. Other brands that sell Dishwashers in India include LG, Elica, Faber, Miele. But the four brands mentioned earlier are the most popular ones.
Best Dishwasher Models in India
We have collected some data from manufacturers’ websites and from eCommerce portals and based on that (technical specs and user reviews), following models come out on top:
- IFB Neptune FX (Free Standing, 12 place settings) Buy From:
- Bosch SMS60L12IN (Free Standing, 12 place settings) Buy From:
- Siemens SN26L201IN (Free Standing, 12 place settings) Buy From:
When it comes to the selection of IFB machine of 12 settings, VX model is preferable as compared to the FX model.
Haier DW12-TFE3 Dishwasher 12 Place Settings Flipkart
What types of dishwashers are available in India?
In India, the different types of dishwashers available include the built-in dishwashers, free-standing dishwashers, table-top-small dishwashers and countertop dishwasher. The free-standing and built-in dishwashers are the most common ones, while the former is replaceable or detachable with respect to the position in the kitchen; the later are permanently installed into the kitchen. These both kinds of dishwashers resemble a great deal to the washing machines, especially in terms of the usages. These 24 inches (or 60 cm) width floor standing dishwashers can be placed anywhere where there is a water connection, a drainage point and an electric socket. These days, the Built-in standard dishwashers with disappearing touch screens and advanced temperature settings are also available in the market.
In fact, a dishwasher for Indian cooking can be very handy, as it can take care of a large number of cooking pots and pans, commonly used in the Indian type of cooking. Several dishwasher models are available in a variety of colours, finishes and configurations, matching the kitchen decor. Therefore, while purchasing, one will indeed opt for a dishwasher, which offers features and performance desirable to ensure dishes come out sparkling clean. In fact, there is also a misnomer regarding the proper dishwasher use – Several people think that to use a dishwasher properly, one needs to just rinse the plates before putting in a dishwasher to clean. This is not factually incorrect, as one just has to get rid of leftover food in the plates, by just pushing it with a spoon into the waste bin.
What should you look for when purchasing a dishwasher?
Besides budget and requirement, the next-gen features, drive the purchasing decisions. Aside from the sheer cleaning power, one needs to consider features like speed, drying cycle, and quietness (or lack thereof). And how can we exclude the energy-efficiency factor? Hafele in its product feature of 12AS dishwasher has provided all the features which generally are adopted by most of the brands and one should read this carefully.
- Look for a number of place settings – This feature is important – because there’s no point purchasing a great new dishwasher if one can’t fit its dinnerware in it. The international standard for the dishwasher is capacity is known as ‘standard place settings’. Depending on whether one goes with a standard, compact, or drawer model, in general, dishwasher capacity is measured based on how many place settings it can fit in a single load. As per the international standard one place setting consist of the following items – dinner and dessert plates, dessert spoons, soup plates and spoons, glass, cup, saucer, teaspoon, knife, fork, etc. Those generally available in the Indian market are generally 12-14 place settings – Bosch, LG, IFB brands are generally available in this place setting range. However, capacity up to eight five-piece place settings, known as compact dishwashers are also available in the market.
- Design Material – For example, the inner baskets of steel are considered better than those with plastic. They are also long-lasting and corrosion-resistant. Also look for variable basket option, i.e. the height-adjustable baskets for more versatility when loading. An “easy-to-lift” top basket provides the facility of adjusting the height without necessitating to completely remove it. Some models can even be adjusted when fully loaded.
- Cycle options – Look for various cycle options available, as they go by various names – ‘ProWash’, ‘Smartwash’, and Sensors Bottom line, etc. Programmes such as ‘Half Load’, ‘eco cycle’ are ideal for washing just a few dishes. That way, they can also reduce energy and water consumption also saving money. A variable-speed or quick wash can reduce the time taken to wash utensils. Several dishwashers now also boast advanced cycle options such as sanitizing around 99.9% of bacteria. Many of these new wash cycles also make the machines more efficient, which saves one’s money and time in the long run.
- Noise – Dishwasher can be quite loud (can sound like a landing plane), generally the expensive models make lower noise. Look for noise, as an important criterion. The modern-day dishwashers are noise insulated, in order to run more quietly. In some cases, manufacturers even boast that the dishwasher is almost silent. Bosch and LG top-rated dishwashers are known for delivering virtually silent performance. Noise level of 52 dB is generally accepted and provided, in general, by all the brands.
- Sensors – Look for various kinds of sensors that can vary performance based on load. It can help achieve better energy efficiency. Many dishwashers boast smart or auto sensors, which detect how dirty the dishes are and also adjust the heat, intensity, cycle duration and power, the dishwasher, will be requiring cleaning them. The Aqua sensors can help achieve optimum water usage. There are sensors, which can detect the temperature of air and water and thus prevents the machine from getting overheated and/or getting damaged. There’s another sensor which keeps the water level in check. There are some dishwashers, having soil sensors, which measure the amount of food particles and debris in each load and adjusts both the cycle time and water usage accordingly.
- Touch controls – Gone are the days where the dishwashers were controlled by a series of dials. The latest generations of dishwashers feature the touch-pad controls, which are sleek and easy-to-use.
- Anti-flood device – Many modern appliances have safeguards that help prevent them from flooding. The dishwashers are also not an exception, as most of them have some level of anti-flood protection. An anti-flood device or an anti-flood hose comprises of electric cut-off near the water tap connection; it helps in detecting and stopping leaks in the hose. Some other dishwashers such as LG have innovative anti-burst technologies which are located in the machine end of the hose. These features prevent leaks in the hose and in the machine, also prevent the spoil arising from the food falling into the machine’s basket.
- Hard Water needs to be taken care of – Finally, for better efficiencies, water used by the dishwasher has to be soft. Dishwashers have a built-in water softener to convert hard water entering the dishwasher into soft water. The water softener in the dishwasher works by removing the calcium and magnesium ions from hard water and replacing it with sodium ions to make soft water. Therefore, either have a machine with water softener built-in or get an external water softener.
What should you look for when purchasing a dishwasher?
Besides budget and requirement, the next-gen features, drive the purchasing decisions. Aside from the sheer cleaning power, one needs to consider features like speed, drying cycle, and quietness (or lack thereof). And how can we exclude the energy-efficiency factor? Therefore, let’s discuss all of them in this buying guide, beginning with the energy-efficiency issue:
How much electricity do dishwashers use?
While electricity to run the dishwasher have money expenses involved and the elbow grease applied in the handwashing is at no cost. So for obvious reasons, there will be debate pertaining to dishwasher vs. hand washing – let us address this also. Research indicates that hand washing uses around six times as much water as a typical modern dishwasher to wash up a typical pile of dirty dishes, and these days water doesn’t come free also electricity is very much required to get the water to the kitchen tap in modern urban houses.
Now coming to the electricity consumption of a dishwasher, a typical dishwasher would consume about 1-2 units per load per wash. Also if used with the economical mode of the dishwasher wash cycle, an average electricity dishwasher will cost less, also the dishwashers using ‘Condensation’ drying uses less electric energy and are more economical to run. So if you can evade setting the dishwasher at higher temperatures and instead use the economical mode of dishwashing, then the average usage of electricity will even be around 1 unit per wash.
Also these days, dishwashers are labelled with the water and energy ratings. Now as BEE (or Bureau of Energy Efficiency) in India has not started rating dishwashers, most dishwashers in India show the European standards of appliances labelling. The latest dishwashers are labelled on an energy efficiency scale ranging from A+++ (most efficient) to D (least efficient). These ratings take into account several features – energy consumption (power consumption in ‘off-mode’ and in standby mode), programme time, the capacity of the dishwasher, etc. These ‘star’ ratings provide a general idea of how well the dishwasher will perform, and also include raw figures on the kilowatt-hours per year and water usage per wash. When buying a dishwasher, one is advised to go for the lowest possible water consumption. Generally, the dishwashers using 8-10 litres per wash cycle are considered a good average option. One can use these figures to get an estimate of your running costs. They also inform us about how well the machine dries the dishes and noise emissions. So in case you are comparing 2 dishwashers in India for efficiency, you can compare the European standards of rating for the appliance to find out the most efficient one. However, not all the models available in the Indian market have this rating.
We at BijliBachao also monitored the consumption of electricity for a typical dishwasher and found that typically the dishwasher used 1 unit of electricity for the most optimum and energy-efficient mode of operation. This means dishwasher electricity usage for a month will be 30-40 units, which works out to around Rs-200 to Rs 250, per month assuming an electricity cost of Rs. 6-per unit. One can easily compare this figure with the current maids’ salaries.
Finally, the dishwashers, like several other home appliances, are getting smart makeovers. These smart features range in function not only saving money and time to making overall product experience enjoyable through the ease of use, while also costing less if you effectively and efficiently. We expect that this guide will be useful in making decisions pertaining to all futuristic purchases.
About the Author:
More from this author.