It is not just buying energy efficient products that will save electricity for you; right operation of the same will also make an impact. Efficiency of a washing machine depends a lot on how it is used regularly. Washing machine is a very costly appliance to operate and in-efficient use of it can skyrocket your washing costs. The way cloths are washed can actually save you money. Here are some basic tips:
1) Front Load or Top Load: Electricity consumption of washing machine depends on how you use the washing machine. Front loaders use less water but have longer wash cycles. Top loaders use more water but have smaller wash cycles. If you use hot water for washing then top loaders will consume more because amount of electricity needed for heating water is lot more than the amount needed by the motor of the washing machine. But if you use cold water wash, then front loaders will consume more because they have longer wash cycles.
2) Size of the Washing Machine: Always choose the right size of washing machine based on your daily needs, because bigger the size, more electricity it will consume.
3) Buying a BEE 5 star rated machine is always recommended.
4) Load the washing machine optimally: Always try to use washing machine with full load, as the electricity used is same even if you under-load the washing machine. A washing machine with a load sensor can help you in easily loading your washing machine optimally.
5) Buy the right detergent and use the right amount: Buying a right detergent for washing machine is very important as a wrong detergent may need multiple cycles to wash the cloths properly leading to water and energy wastage. Similarly if the amount of detergent used is not right then multiple cycles of wash will be needed. Most detergent makers do make ones that are good for washing machine. So buy the right one.
6) Reduce amount of heating: Heating can increase washing cost by up to 90%. Excessive heating can even damage the fabrics of the cloth. Whenever possible use cold water wash as it can drastically cut down the electricity usage.
7) Use faster spin speeds instead of a dryer for drying: Although very few people in India have started using dryers, but instead of using a thermal dryer, which uses heat to dry the cloths, faster spin speeds in the washing machine can help save electricity. Mechanical drying is always more efficient than thermal drying. And front load washing machines have faster spin speeds. Drying clothes in sun or natural air is the greenest possible way to save electricity as it saves use of washing machine for drying cycles.
8) Never leave washing machine in standby mode: As with all other appliances, standby power can hit hard on your electricity bill. So never leave washing machine in standby mode.
Buying a right washing machine and using it properly can help you save a lot of units consumed on your electricity bill.
About the Author:
Abhishek Jain is an Alumnus of IIT Bombay with almost 10 years of experience in corporate before starting Bijli Bachao in 2012. His passion for solving problems moved him towards Energy Sector and he is keen to learn about customer behavior towards Energy and find ways to influence the same towards Sustainability. More from this author.